Organic! Organic! Organic! Recipes do not get much easier than this; QUALITY of ingredients is PRIORITY number one.
Mustard Crusted Free Range Lamb with Mom’s Lime Mint Jelly
Free range rack of lamb, trimmed and frenched (1 – 1 ½ lbs each) – 3 each
Olive oil, extra virgin – 6 Tbsp
Kosher salt – 1 Tbsp
Black pepper, fresh ground – 1 Tbsp
Rosemary, fresh minced – 3 Tbsp
Garlic, fresh minced – 3 Tbsp
Oregano, dry – 2 Tbsp
Red Chili flake – 1 Tbsp
Yellow Mustard, French’s – 1-¼ cups
0.5) Allow the seasoned racks of lamb to come to room temperature before cooking, this provides two benefits: the lamb absorbs the flavors from the marinade, and she’ll cook up to an even temperature throughout. Let’s say 30 minutes.
1) Season each side of the lamb racks with drizzle of olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper, garlic, oregano, red chili flake and rosemary.
2) Apply a liberal coating of the mustard to fat side of rack and rub to evenly coat it. Yes, this means getting your hands dirty.
IN A WOOD OVEN:
1) Preheat wood oven to 500F-600F.
2) Place the lamb in a roasting pan or baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes or until internal temperature is 130 degrees F. for medium rare for medium-rare. Allow the lamb to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
IN THE CONVENTIONAL OVEN:
1) Position your oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) Place the racks of lamb on heavy gauge baking sheet, bone side down, Slide them into the oven and cook 6 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F and cook for additional 8-12 minutes, or until internal temperature is 130 degrees F. for medium rare.
3) Allow lamb to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
1) Using a sharp knife, cut the racks into ‘Lollipop’ chops.
2) Transferto your serving platter or plates and garnish with Mom’s Mint Jelly.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 12-25 minutes
Serves: 6-8 persons
Mom’s Lime Mint Jelly
Mint leaves, (washed well and coarsely chopped) – 4 packed cups
Water – 3 ½ cups
Limes, washed (Note: will need zest of 5 limes) – 10
Granulated sugar, preferably pure cane sugar – 8 cups
CERTO Pectin, liquid – 6 ounces
1) Sterilize one case of 8-ounce jars, with their lids and rings by placing them in a boiling water bath. Set aside.
2) In a medium stockpot (10 quarts), bring the mint leaves and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
3) Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, reserving the minty water.
4) Using a ‘Microplane’, grate the zest from 5 of the limes and reserve. Then squeeze the juice from all 10 into a bowl.
5) In a heavy gauge, non-reactive stockpot combine the minty water, sugar, and freshly squeezed lime juice. Stir frequently to ensure the sugar dissolves and nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan. Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
6) Stir in the pectin and bring back to a rolling boil for another minute.
7) Reduce the heat to low and skim off any foam. Then stir in the lime zest and steep for 1 minute.
This recipe is an excerpt from One True Vine Journal
To purchase the One True Vine Journal, Volumes 001 or 002, visit the One True Vine website.