Sandwiches make us very happy. They make us happy while strolling Las Ramblas, the famed central walkway through Barcelona. They make us happy while hiking through the gorgeous, hilly vineyards of Calatayud in the center of Spain. They make us happy because there are few things as simple, yet satisfying, as some lovely meat and cheese between crispy, seared bread.
But, don’t be fooled! There is an art to the “Perfect” bocadillo. It starts with the best ingredients and ends with getting the perfect bite each time. Make sure not to slap these together, but to distribute things evenly and artfully.
Then, with a bottle of Layer Cake Cabernet Sauvignon to wash it down, you and your amigos will be happy too. Our favorite is the Lomo, but you can’t go wrong with the Brown Sugar Smoked Ham version either. Try them both!
Lomo (cured pork loin) Bocadillo
4 Sourdough sandwich rolls
8 oz Lomo, cured pork loin seasoned with paprika (thinly sliced)
6 oz Iberico Curado, blend of cow, goat, and sheep’s milk cheese (thinly sliced)
4 oz Quince paste
4 Tbsp Unsalted, butter, softened
1) Slice the rolls in half horizontally for sandwiches.
2) Using half of the Lomo slices; divide them between all of the bottom halves of the rolls, being sure to cover completely. Top with the cheese slices. Then, cover with the remaining Lomo slices.
2) Spread the Quince paste on the underside of the tops of the rolls and put it on top of the lomo.
3) Brush the outside (top and bottom) with butter.
1) Preheat your Panini grill press or stovetop griddle pan over medium-high heat.
2) Working in batches to not overcrowd the pan, put the sandwiches on the heated surface, close the Panini grill, and push down firmly. (If using a stovetop griddle try to find something to weigh the sandwiches down. And, remember you will have to flip to get both sides good and brown.) Cook until both sides are toasted and golden brown and the cheese has melted, 4-5 minutes.
3) Remove from the grill, let rest for one minute, cut in half, and serve.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 4-5 minutes