1 boneless pork middle, skin on (10-12 lbs)
¾ cup mortared garlic
4 lemons (zest of)
1/4 cup black pepper, finely ground
1 cup fennel seeds, toasted and ground
2 bunches rosemary, finely chopped
¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin
¼ cup coarse sea salt
fine sea salt – to taste
1) Preheat your oven to 375˚F.
2) Score the pork skin perpendicular to the direction of the ribs.
3) Rub the garlic all over the meat, followed by the lemon zest. Then sprinkle liberally with the fine sea salt, pepper, fennel and finally the rosemary.
4) Starting from the loin side, roll the pork into a cylinder and tie every 2 inches with butcher’s twine. Rub with the olive oil and sprinkle with the coarse salt.
5) Put your finely tied roast on a rack, then into oven until it’s golden brown, about 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300˚F and cook until the internal temperature is 140˚F. This can take from 2 ½ – 4 hours, depending on the thickness of the roast.
6) Remove your mouth-watering porchetta from the oven and let her rest for 30 minutes.
7) Carve with a serrated knife into ½ inch thick slices and enjoy!
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 3-4 ½ hours