6 Dungeness crabs, about 1 ½ – 2 pounds per crab
4 Jalapenos, sliced into rings 1/8-inch thick with seeds
½ cup Blackening Spice
3 bulbs Garlic, peeled – whole cloves
5 Lemons, whole
½ cup Italian Parsley, rough chop
4 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
1 cup Olive Oil, extra virgin
1) After cooking the crab, grab the crab from the back of its shell to avoid getting a finger caught in a claw. Firmly grasp the back of the shell with your thumb remove the ‘apron’, which is the flap on the underside of the shell.
2) Remove the outer shell by sticking your thumb into the hole left from removing the ‘apron’, pull up quickly and firmly to remove the shell. The shell detaches from the body and will remove some of the inners as well at the same time.
3) Remove the spongy gills from either side of the body and discard.
4) Thoroughly rinse the inner cavity using cold water, break off the mouthparts from the front of the crab and discard.
5) Turn the crab over, firmly grasp each side and use your thumbs and push firmly to crack the crab in half.
6) Place in a large mixing bowl; add olive oil, garlic cloves, jalapenos, slat and blackening spices. Toss well to ensure all crab is coated evenly. Place on sheet pan or in a large rondo to roast in Forno (wood fired oven or home oven)
7) Heat wood fired oven to 500-600°F or preheat oven to 450°F.
8) Place the sheet pan of Dungeness crab in oven. Allow crab to cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring once or twice while cooking. Remove pan from oven, squeeze fresh lemon juice over crab, and add Italian parsley Transfer to serving platter and serve. Fresh warm artisan bread adds the finishing touch.
Prep time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes